Unfortunately, lesser-skilled criminal defense attorneys start and end their drunk driving defense with the accused’s blood alcohol (BAC). At The Law Office of Neal Gibbons and Associates, we understand the disservice that this approach can do to our clients – the consequences of a conviction are much too high, and there is so much more to consider than the accused’s blood alcohol level or Breathalyzer test results when fighting DUI/DWI charges.
In California, even a first offense DUI/DWI conviction carries a mandatory jail sentence of two to ten days, depending on the county and the level of the charges. Driver’s license suspension, fines, community service and mandatory alcohol education classes are also common. To prevent the leveling of such severe penalties against you, we pursue every avenue that could lead to the dismissal or reduction of your DUI/DWI charges, including:
– Obtaining the police report.
– Obtaining copies of the initial dispatch.
– Following through with alleged witnesses and reviewing any statements they gave to the arresting officer.
– Investigating the maintenance and calibration records of any Intoxilyzer or Breathalyzer machines used in the arrest.
– Investigating the reasons behind the officer’s initial stop of your vehicle to make sure he had a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, necessary to perform a traffic stop.
– Hiring our own independent investigators.
– Examining any video of field sobriety tests, such as that which might be available from the officer’s dash-cam.
Our hands-on persistence has resulted in hundreds of positive results following drunk driving charges. When police commit procedural errors, we can spot them immediately, frequently resulting in dismissal of charges.We can also handle your DMV administrative hearing to prevent the suspension of your driver’s license.
You have only ten days to contact the DMV following your arrest to prevent the mandatory suspension of your license.